Designing a Strategic Core for the Royal Borough of Kingston
RBK embarked upon a corporate redesign to align services with clearly defined community outcomes for the borough. The council required a smaller retained core strategic team of council employees as part of the redesign. We were appointed to redefine the outcomes and structures for their retained services.
What we did:
- Established the current financial investment in the services that were part of the strategic core and appraised performance against peer and national benchmarks
- Worked across all retained service areas to agree the outcomes and essential activities.
- Co-developed future service models and operational restructures to reduce costs
- Co-designed a 3-year Workforce Strategy, with an HR service partner, to support migration to new target models
What it achieved:
- A Target Operating Model and organisation design for retained services, as well as a business case for in-year savings of £1.7m and a total of £4.5m over 4 years in line with Medium Term Financial Plan requirements
- A Transformation Journey Plan for implementing the new design
- Cabinet approval for an outcome based budget for the first year